The Henry II land division
The arrival of Henry II at Waterford on 17 October AD 1171 marked the beginning of the re organisation of the lands under the control of the Cambro and Anglo-Normans at that point. Richard 'Strongbow' FitzGilbert de Clare and the others involved in the original expedition submitted to the king, and handed over control of Irish territories. Henry stayed in Ireland until AD 17 April 1171, creating the basis for the 'Lordship of Ireland'.
The primary feature of this re organisation was that De Clare relinquished the control of Dublin and its neighbouring cantreds, along with Waterford and Wexford, in return for control over the remainder of Leinster for the service of 100 knights. In the autumn of AD 1171 Henry passed control of 'my city of Dublin' to the citizenry of Bristol. This transfer must have been a major boon to Bristol, as it gained control over a city almost as large as itself, and importantly its main trading rival on the Irish Sea. Duffy (2003, 102) suggests that there may have been a very practical reason for the transition of Dublin to Bristol, that of re population, as Dublin was inhabited by -
"...the leaderless remainder of its pre-conquest population...the garrison installed by Strongbow and perhaps some recently arrived English entrepreneurs'
Henry needed Dublin to resume its position as an economic force. This was especially important as Henry had reserved most of the surrounding land of the former Hiberno Norse kingdom as royal demesne. These retained lands were all in the south of the region, and certainly were extensive. However, even from the beginning, the effective administration of such holdings proved extremely difficult, especially in those holdings in modern Co. Wicklow. Murphy and Potterton (2007, 85) note that even the identification of the three royal manors known as Othee, Obrun and Okelly is difficult, especially as none seem to have had demesne lands or administrative caputs. Of particular importance to this project was the manor of Obrun, which comprised scattered lands of the Ui Bruin Chualann, stretching from Cork near Bray, Ballycorus, parts of Kilmacanogue, Ballytenned and Carricgolyn near Shankill. Murphy and Potterton (ibod) also note that Obrun also included the royal forest of Garfloun (between Powerscourt and Kilmacanogue), which another royal forest covered the entire valley of Glencree, excepting land held by the Archbishop of Dublin.
The advent of de Ridelesford
As noted above, the administration of the royal manors such as Obrun was an extremely difficult prospect, and from AD 1171 until late AD 1173 these particular circumstances coupled with a high retention of native inhabitants (including elements of the Mac Thorkill dynasty) formed a perfect crucible for dissatisfaction with the new regime. The release for this dissatisfaction came with the eruption of what would be known as The Great Revolt of AD 1173-1174.