Raheen na Chluig Church and Enclosure
WI008-004 and WI008-004001
'Situated on a small level platform overlooking a marked NE-facing slope with steep ground uphill to the SW. A nave and chancel church (L 10.8m; Wth 5.9m) with walls of irregular uncoursed masonry (H 1.5-2.5m; Wth 0.85m). The gables are substantially intact. The door in the N wall, which is slightly W of the centre, splays inwards and parts of the cut granite jambs survive. There are simple round-headed windows in the E and W gables and a single niche occurs in the S wall towards the W end. The church has been substantially conserved. A rectangular area of rubble and mortar (dims. 4m x 2m) immediately E of the church may represent the foundations of another building. The church is known as Raithín a' Chluig, or 'little rath of the bell'.
The OS Letters (1838/40) note that remains of the church (WI008-004----) and other possible buildings were enclosed by a 'moat' (O'Flanagan 1928, 30). No trace of this enclosure could be found when inspected by ASI in 1990.
Information accessed from National Monuments Service website.
Old Conna Church and Graveyard
DU026-066001 and DU026-066002
No records are available at present for this site.
Oldcourt Castle and Bawn
WI008-002001 and WI008-002002
Castle (WI008-002001-), 17th century house and bawn (WI008-002002-) described in the Ordnance Survey letters of 1838/40 as following; ‘Old Court Castle occupies a bold and handsome situation on the brink of a little river in the townland of Old Court. It is a square tower about 70 feet (21.3m) high, 54 feet [16.45m] long and 20 [6m] broad, with all its sides perfect to the top. It has several square and two gothic arched windows or loop holes. The ascent within is by wooden ladders and partly by the original spiral stone stairs. The entrance was through a door on the west side near the N.W. angle, and apparently through a house (WI008-041----) which projected from this angle westward 54 feet [16.45m] in length by 20 [6m] in breadth; the foundation only traceable at present. The remains of two small round towers mark the gate entrance to the house, lying about 20 yards [18.2m] south of the castle. That on the right as you enter is 12 feet [3.65m] in diameter and five [1.5m] in height, the wall 2 feet [0.6m] thick, and having a breach 7 feet [2.13m] wide on the west side. Ten or twelve feet [3-3.65m] of the other remains to the height of about ten feet [3m], having a pointed arched doorway 7 feet [2.13m] high and two feet 6 inches [0.76m] wide’ (O’Flanagan 1928, 28-9).
Present remains consist of the foundations of a bawn wall extending W for 16m from the NW angle of tower house (WI008-002001-). From the SW angle the bawn wall runs W for a short distance before turning S towards two circular gate-towers. The eastern gate-tower is largely intact (H 2.5m) while only the entrance to the western one remains. The bawn wall was built along the edge of the platform above steep slopes. A short wall angle of similar uncoursed rubble occurs immediately W of the gate-towers; this may be an associated feature - possibly part of the bawn wall. A 17th-century house (WI008-041----) was attached to the W wall of the tower.
Information accessed from the National Monuments Service website.
BE ADVISED THAT THIS MONUMENT IS ON PRIVATE LAND